Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Choose your best pillow!


Did you know that the pillow you sleep on can help relieve or exacerbate your pain levels?  There are tons of therapeutic pillows on the market, but before you shell out the cash, it’s important to learn what kind of pillow will work for you.

A good pillow, needs to support the natural curve of your neck. If this is not the case, your whole spine can be impacted.  How much support you need is determined by your unique situation (Do you have old neck injuries? Disc problems?)  Often those who have experienced a loss of curvature in their cervical spine benefit from a pillow that provides extra traction (tilts the head back further while they sleep) and more firmness in a pillow.  If you can’t afford a pillow with good neck support, you can substitute by rolling a hand towel, securing the ends with hair bands and putting that under your neck while you sleep.  

While this type of pillow should, in theory, work best for most people, that isn’t always the case.  Some people do better with foam or down others try buckwheat pillows.  If you can find someone who has a therapeutic pillow you can borrow, see if you can try it out for a night or two.

Other considerations:

-Sleeping on your stomach is terrible for your neck. If you suffer from chronic neck pain you would benefit from losing the stomach sleeping habit.

-Hip and low back pain can often be helped by putting a pillow or rolled up towel beneath your knees when sleeping on your back or between your knees when sleeping on your side. Again, there are no benefits to sleeping on your stomach.

Don’t let sleep make your pain worse!  Reassess how you sleep and the tools you sleep with now to make the most difference!

*Sore No More! is not a licensed physician. All information on this blog is researched by our staff and is subject to inaccuracies. No information found here should be used in the place of advice from your doctor. * Sore No More 150 East Center Street Moab, Utah 84532 Tel: (435) 259-5931 Toll Free: (800) 842-6622 www.sorenomore.com

14 comments:

  1. There are clinics like pain relief which help you ti cure any kind of pains. please visit: Pain Relief Cream , diabetic cream

    ReplyDelete
  2. I woke up with my neck hurting. The pain is nothing that I have ever felt before and I don't know if I need to see a doctor or not. The only thing I changed about my sleeping was my pillow. I am going back to my old pillow tonight . http://www.freespinalexam.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Does memory foams really work?? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been using memory pillows for two weeks and I must say that it really fits me because I am a back sleeper. It provides me better neck and head support better than other types of pillows. It costs more, but I give it two thumbs up because I experience no pain when sleeping! :)

      Delete
  4. I've been suffering from lower back pain for a while. I am going to see my doctor about it and see how I can improve my quality of living. I didn't know that they way you sleep can have an affect on my back pain. I'm going to get a better pillow and try sleeping with one under my knees. http://www.drjaminet.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Do you think sleeping on your stomach can cause back pain? I tend to sleep on my stomach, but I know that's not the best way to sleep. Do you have any tips for breaking a bad sleeping habit? On nights I try to not sleep on my back, I end up not sleeping very well, or reverting to my stomach in my sleep. I could probably talk to a doctor like http://myfamilydoctorutah.com/whiplash-injury-treatment-back-pain-doctor/, but I wanted to ask for other people's input first.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to sleep like that too and it also gave me neck and back pains. I had myself checked up and my doctor told me that I should try to be a back sleeper instead. I didn't know what happened because I just broke the habit of sleeping on my tummy. I am currently using a memory pillow, which is really firm and I do not experience any pain on my back and neck for that matter. It is really good and I think, you should try it.

      Delete
  6. I can only sleep on my side, but had terrible knee and back pain. I tried a pillow between my knees, but the big one woke me up when I tried to turn over, and I lost the small pillow when I turned over.
    So, I developed Sleepy Kneez, an ultra comfortable knee pillow that stays put all night, and doesn't negatively impact the knee cap. Now, I sleep like a baby!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Not convinced of memory foam pillows, as they're a cluster of chemicals such as polyurethane and methyl benzene .

    Various reports illustrate the toxic levels of memory foam pillows and mattresses and their affects on brain development and the nervous system. That is why me and my family simply avoid them.

    If you need reliable neck and head support, a much better alternative are buckwheat pillows. They are natural, supportive and durable. I love them so much I have even started my own project TheBuckwheatProject ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Most of the neck pain happens due to wrong choice of pillows. You are a great blogger, who are helping others in choosing right pillow just like a pain management doctors jacksonville fl. I think everyone must see your website once before going to buy pillow.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for sharing this blog about your experience with intermittent back pain and how you deal with it, its very educational and i am going to send this information to a friend who seem to be experiencing same degree of pain.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I agree to the fact that you have to consider a lot to things to choose the best pillows. One can use a custom made pillow which made according to individuals unique measurements. Thanks for this valuable post.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for your informative writing.
    Get 30%-70% Discount from FZillion.com on all branded
    Decorative Pillows




    USA Free shipping and free return. 75 days Return Policy.

    ReplyDelete